Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Art Heals

When inexplicable and tragic events happen in our world and personal lives, I find that art can have wonderful healing properties. It can allow people to express themselves in ways that words cannot and provide others with the means to show they care even to people they may never meet.

The recent bombings and events in Boston hit home on a personal level as I was born and raised there myself. My brother normally runs in the marathon, but did not this year. I wish every family had been so lucky.

The recent devastating explosions in nearby West, Texas further prompted me to pause our regular art projects and take a couple of days to make cards and a banner for people affected by these events. I hope to help make students more aware of the world around them and think critically about their role as citizens in it, and to help show that art can be method of communication, connection, and compassion.

I was moved by the messages of the students, how they immediately began working on the project without question, and how thoughtful and respectful they were of the suffering of others.

I mailed the letters to the Boston Brigham and Women's Hospital (where I was born) and where many survivors are healing and the large banner we made will be sent to West, Texas.























No comments:

Post a Comment