Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Where I'm From Poem Revisited


Student poetry inspired by the "Where I'm From" poem by George Ella Lyon

I love teaching this lesson and always learn so much about my students when I teach it.



I am from books
And from hot combs and curl creams
I am from green walls, vanilla candles
I am from the sand
I am from the huge evergreen, 
I am from making chicken wings and coke for Santa and Taylor Swift
From Officer Campbell and Ora Lee Thompson
I am from knocking on wood and praying
And from eating together
I am from no disrespect and eating my veggies
And from kumbaya my lord
I am from Sunday dinners
I am from Texas and Ireland
Chocolate pies and southern-fried chicken
From a tragic relationship
Someone I never got to meet 
I am from missing teeth in the tub and being worried I'll never find it

8th grader


I am from ovens
From cooking and creativity
I am from warm feelings of
My family.
I am from the grass
The small tree that grows flowers in the spring and peaches in the fall
I’m from holidays and opening one present on Christmas Eve
From my Mom and my sister.
I’m from helping and giving
And from listening.
 I’m from not worrying and not listening to mean people
And from wise mistakes are best mistakes
I’m from eating junk food on Friday
I’m from Texas and Croatia
Tomatoes and peppers
From parents winning a lottery
To win a free green card
Who came to Texas and they
Kept the Green Card as a memory.
I am from if my parents never won the green card, then I wouldn’t be here.

 7th grader


I am from our wood floors
From pictures and TV’s
I am from the bricks stacked up high
With big trees
I am from the blue bonnets
The pomegranate tree whose long gone limbs I remember
as if the were my own.
I’m from baking cookies and crawfish boils
From Mom and Dad
I’m from loving and behavior
And from a smart family
I’m from go outside and play and clean your room
And life’s a game meant for everyone
I’m from baking with my family
I’m from Texas and Irish
Homemade meal and take out.
From Cancer
To sadly death
Pictures are the best memories
On the shelves.

 7th grader

I am from our kitchen table
From stepping stones and wish bones
I am from the green place that I will call home
With fresh mowed grass littered everywhere
I am from the backyard that I roam in
The oak that branches off in every direction

I’m from hugs and road trips far away
From Mom and Dad
I’m from running and walking
And loving

I’m from facts and falses
And nothing more
I’m from life
I’m from Texas and Texas some more
Shrimp and spices
From the sailor dog
Traveling far away
The beach that feels like home
Miles and miles
From here

-7th grader

I am from PlayStation 2
From books and food
I am from the apartment
And it smells like bacon
I am from the apple
The big tree

I am from Easter egg hunting and curly hair
From My mom and Dad
I’m from arguing and cheating
And eating.

I’m from there’s boogy man and listen and learn
And my ABC’s
I’m from family reunions
I’m from California and the country
Chicken and tater sauce
From baby pictures and drawings on the wall

-7th grader

I am from TV
From my room and Mom’s room
I am from the crib
Smells like candy
I’m from my birthday and party
And New Year’s and Christmas
I’m from biting my nails and snoring
And from fighting
I’m from Be Good and Mind My Business
And get er done
I’m from Easter
I’m from Hillcrest and Waco
Pizza and nachos
From turn up
Tall, long hair
Big diamonds
In my heart.
- 8th grader



I am from my bed
From pillows and blankets
I am from the orange little house
With the smell of strawberry
I am from the dandelion
The roses

I’m from brown hair and long hair
From Mom and Dad
I’m from laughing and being silly
And from great smiles

I’m from no spitting and not much candy
And a girl on fire.
I’m from doing all holidays
I’m from Laredo and a park
Burgers and pizza.
From a car crash and my brother
Old coins
In my heart
- 7th grader

I am from my phone
From video games and YouTube.
I am from the brand new smell
And cold floors
I am from thru roses and tulips
The pecan tree
I’m from family reunions and quinceaneras
From siblings and grandparents
I’m from laughing and having fun
And from joking around.

I’m from brushing my teeth and pee before you sleep
And the saying “Don’t take anything for granted.”
I’m from making homemade tamales
I’m from Waco, TX and El Paso, TX
Tacos and menudo
From reading stories and articles about how my Mom
Passed away
My mom got in an all terrain vehicle accident
Laguna Beach
I am from in a picture frame
In my phone, in a dusty Nike box under my bed, and
Also in a book.
- 8th grader

I am from the mirror
From the light and the dark
I am from the door
Fresh flowers
The yellow flower
I’m from Christmas and Halloween
From the good and the bad
I’m from the veggies and the snack
And from the fruit.
I’m from sleeping and playing
And clean
I’m from plane and the wind
Falafel and dolmas
From hurt
Sad
The heat in my heart
In me in my
Brain
 - 8th grader

I am from my little fridge
And watermelon and strawberry
I am from the ghetto hood
That smells like Asian food
I am from the thorn plant
The big long tree
I’m from picture and celebrating
From Dad and Mom.
I’m from chores and celebrate and partying.
I’m from Asian kid and education
To be respectful
I’m from eating rice
I’m from American and church
Rice and ramen
From my cousin Peter died
Peter was really cool
Family pictures really nice
In my heart
And on the wall.
- 8th grader

I am from a computer
From tables and chairs
I am from the three front windows
And the brown bricks
I am from the rose
The grass
I’m from prayers and small eyes
From Mom and Dad
I’m from forgetting and hard working
And from waking up early.
I’m from education and morality
And never give up
I’m from the Festival of Lights
I’m from Nepal and Texas
Rice and noodles
From jumping out a window
And falling in debris
Nepal paintings
On the walls
I am from a place called home.
- 8th grader

I am from toilet paper
From plunger and whoopee cushion
I am from the fun time kingdom
Cozy and crazy feel
I am from the tickle me plant
I’m from jokes and water balloon fights
From funny parents and siblings
I’m from pranking and laughing

I’m from pee before bed and monster at night
And rock a bye baby
I’m from playing around
I’m from Austin and Hispanic
Steak and rice
From funny and me and my dad spending time together
In my heart.
- 8th grader





I am so grateful to my dear friend and fellow Teaching Artist who introduced me to it. Click links below to see the films and animated versions she created with her students.
https://youtu.be/jHM5Yo-JrMM

No comments:

Post a Comment